Andover was established in 1883 when the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railways built a line branching from Ashtabula to Youngstown. This brought work and prosperity to Andover. Railroad families, retired farmers, merchants and other business people mostly populated this area. The western part of town was settled in the rolling hills with a plentiful water supply. The eastern part of town was more level but quite swampy in some areas. This low area became part of the Pymatuning Reservoir in the 1930's. The western portion of Andover is high and rolling. The eastern part is more level and in some places quite low. It is one of the highest townships in Ashtabula County.